Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Whew! What a day!

I think I'll be going to bed early tonight. I've had a very busy, somewhat exhausting day. It started right after I got out of bed (the first time) at 4:30am. (Yawn)

Sierra startled me by standing in the shadow of her doorway. "What are you doing up?" I hissed into the pitch black. "I feel sick", she replied with that "tone". You know what I'm talking about, right? The tone that says, "You're going to have a loooong day, Mom".

And so, exactly 45 seconds later, she barged into the bathroom to empty the contents of her stomach. (UGH!!!) Lovely. Just lovely.

Of course, today was the twins' first official day here, and now I wouldn't have my "Right Hand Girl" with me on the job. (YIKES!!!!)

But God was so merciful on me. (Whew!) Instead of making me totally lose it, or give me an explicably horrid day, everything went surprisingly well. Seriously, you wouldn't believe how well things went with 8 children, one of whom was sicker than a dog, and two that were just getting to know me. Incredible!

Ethan, my sweet little man, stepped up and took his big sister's place as "Main Helper". He did it all from fetching pacifiers and diapers, to playing with each twin, to holding a bottle in one baby's mouth while I fed the other. What a good kid! ;o) Everyone should have a boy like mine. And a daughter, too. When she's healthy. (Heehee)

Before I go any further, I want to commend all the mothers of multiples out there who might be reading this: You are some of the most amazing women in the world. To care for two infants (or more!) at the same time, every single day, takes such an incredible amount of strength, dedication, sense of organization, and patience. I applaud you all! (Bravo!!)

Ok, I feel better. :o)

Even though my day went pretty easy, there was a rough moment where both (baby) Ethan and Alison wanted to be held and NOT put down. That was hard! I didn't let either get to the point of completely screaming/crying, but just having them begin to fuss was kind of scary. I didn't want them to cry, but I didn't know how to hold them both at the same time. (And really, if I wasn't walking, bouncing and singing, then it didn't count in their opinion.)

So I did what I could do, which was take turns between me and the swing! ;o) And thank God, it worked. Within a few "turns", little Alison was sleeping peacefully. Whew!!!!!!!!!!

I sure hope Sierra's feeling better soon. It would be nice to have "my extra hands" available.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails