Friday, August 24, 2007

The Quest for and Disappointment in "Emma"

After waiting what seemed like forever (when in actuality twas maybe two weeks), I finally obtained a copy of the movie, "Emma" (1996 version w/ Gwenyth Paltrow). I was most anxious to see it, and last night Dean and I sat down to watch it together.

However, after maybe 1/8th of the way through it, it became glaringly apparent that this adaptation was lacking the rich texture of the novel, and was substandard in its ability to convey the story to a non-book reader (as my husband is) when held in contrast to the 1995 adaptation of "Sense and Sensibility". :-{ Dean had no trouble following that movie, despite never having read the book, and I found myself having to explain many things to him with Emma that I felt the movie itself should've conveyed.

Needless to say I was disappointed overall, but to be fair, there were a some good moments especially between Emma and Mr. Knightly, and I enjoyed Mrs. Elton's, Miss Bates' and Mr. Woodhouse's character portrayals.

I think it would've been better had the movie paid more attention to the story line between Emma, Mr. Frank Churchill and Jane Fairfax. That part was barely touched on, leaving the viewer to wonder why on earth it even mattered if Frank and Jane had been engaged or not. Who cared? The characters hadn't been developed enough for the viewer to even realize there should've been deeper feelings on their part when the engagement had been revealed.

Hmmm...I think I'll see about getting a copy of the BBC version to compare it with.

I will say that the book is *fantastic*, I eagerly devoured it in about a week.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to order up Sense & Sensibility via OnDemand, and enjoy myself while the babies nap.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails