Sunday, December 23, 2007

Of Butter Cookies and Exploding Light Bulbs

Man oh man, do I LOVE butter cookies!! You know what I'm talking about, right? Those tins of plain looking cookies w/ sugar sprinkles on top that only come out during the holiday season. They are one of my most cherished indulgences---aside from chocolate chip oatmeal cookies (hint, hint Amanda!) or those chocolate no-bake cookies (SLURRRP!). But I digress...

So here I am, just sitting at the computer, chowing down on one sweet, delectable cookie after another; silently berating myself over my severe lack of will power to avoid that which will only give me pimples and a large(r) rump. But at least part of me (namely, my mouth) is enjoying every moment of it.

Today the children and I had the pleasure of hanging out with our dear pals, Amanda and Lisamarie and their children over at their house. (Is that a run-on sentence, I wonder?)

I had a great time girl-talkin', while the children had a blast playing with their friends for a good 5 hours or so.

And once I got home, I immediately decided (as I always do after spending time in their immaculate home) that my house was an all-out pig sty and something just HAD to be cleaned.

I threw the last load of laundry in the dryer, cleaned the kitchen, swept the floor and decided that the vent-thingy in the hallway up in the ceiling (not sure what the correct term is, but its the vent where, I guess, the air gets re-circulated back up...??? If that makes any sense at all...which I doubt it does...) needed to be cleaned, as did the cobwebs from the corners (ahem).

The broom makes a very handy tool for this, and I admit I had fun doing it. (I'm coasting on 2 cups of chai and butter cookies...heehee)

Then I got the idea that the glass light fixture thing-a-ma-bob needed to be washed (also in the hallway ceiling). So, being the incredibly intelligent person I am (and a homeschooling mother, no less), grabbed a chair, unscrewed the glass bowl thingy, set that in the sink, and went back to *wipe down the light bulbs with a rag*.

A damp rag.

Those of you with an IQ above 25, know exactly what happened next.

The light bulb I was so intently wiping down (while it was still turned ON, mind you), took it upon itself to expose my ignorance in a most rude and ghastly fashion.

With a loud POP! the darn thing shattered, raining bits of glass down onto the freshly swept floor.

Man, I'm stupid.

What's worse, is that a little voice inside my head told me just before this happened, "Uhh...you probably don't want to do that. It's going to pop, you twit."

However, I decided to make the most of it by incorporating my faux pas into a late-night science lesson for the children.

"See, guys? That's what happens when a light bulb gets wet. Neat, huh?"

Ahem....ahem....ahem....

So anyway. That's my story.

By the way, I've snarfed down about 1/3 of this tin of cookies. Maybe I should stop and save some for the rest of the family, eh? (Moooo....)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails