Monday, July 7, 2008

Paperback Swap





When I first heard about Paperback Swap, my initial thought was, "What a neat idea! Why didn't I think of that?"

However, (insert raised eyebrow here) the idea of parting with some of MY precious books left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth and a sinking feeling in the pit of my gut. (Ahem)

You see, it's one thing to loan out my books to friends. I don't mind that at all. They all have clean houses and I know they'll take care of my precious pets--er, books. It's a whole other ball game entirely to send them out to perfect strangers--who may or may not provide them with as good of a home as mine--and not only that, but I'd never, ever see them again!

Anyone else out there understand my dilemma???

(Crickets chirping)

Anyhooo....back to the point of this post.

I finally decided to suck up my fear, and with trembling fingers, placed 10 of my good, but-not-my-absolute-favorite books on Paperback Swap. And when I did that, I received 2 credits--good toward 2 "new" books.

For free. (Double eyebrow raise here)

That's the part that really cinched the deal for me. All these lovely, haven't-read-yet-because-I'm-number 100 million-on-the-holds-list-at-the-library-for-them, are FREE for me to receive in my mailbox. (I do however, have to pay to ship my listed books to other swap members, but it's only around $2 a book. Not bad.)

Granted, this is only my first day, and my tune my change down the line. But for now, I have to admit that once I got over my "hoardish" attitude (thanks a lot, Sis), I was very pleasantly surprised to find that nearly all of the books I've been waiting to read are available on the Swap! Woohoo! The only hard part was narrowing it down to 2 books (as I only have 2 credits right now).

To quote little orphan Annie, "...I think I'm gonna like it here!" :o)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails