Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Night School

Either I'm incredibly lazy or a complete rebel.

Whatever the reason, I'm finding it much easier--and enjoyable-- to do our homeschool lessons at night (ie. after 2pm or even after 5pm) rather than during the day.

Does that seem weird to you? Because it kinda does to me.

Like the majority of us parents, I have it ingrained in my head that "school starts at 8am and ends at 3pm". But try as I might (and believe me, I do try), I can't seem to work up the energy--much less desire--to get school done during the day. At least not anymore. I used to. But not this year.

Granted, I get that warm, gooey feeling of success every time I manage it. But it's a chore. And who wants to feel like teaching your children is a chore? Honestly, doesn't that just go against the entire homeschool "vision"?

You know the one; a serene mother gently instructing her brood on the couch; a steaming mug of coffee (ok, chai) in hand. The kiddies calmly, yet eagerly gathering the pearls of wisdom that fall from her soft-speaking lips.

Well, instead of peace and serenity, I had this compulsion--this powerful drive--that made me feel like I have to cram in all their lessons by noon.

It doesn't matter if the joy is there, or if they even "get" the day's lessons. So long as I can scratch "school work" off my To Do List, then I've done my duty for the day.

But that's not what I signed up for. Homeschooling is supposed to be a joy!

And once I got it through my head that learning doesn't occur during a set time frame, and as homeschoolers we have the freedom to "do school" when it best suits our family, things started to turn around.

There's no rush. The housework's completed. And on some nights, supper's already been started.

I can relax and enjoy teaching my children, without succumbing to the nagging voice that screams, "But that's not how it's done!"

You're right, Self. That's not how it's done.

And I like it like that. :o)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh boy can I relate. I often feel like I'm failing because we don't start school until 10:00 or later. I am not a morning person and tend to get up late and have a slow start to the morning. But that is the beauty of homeschooling. We don't have the government telling us when we have to teach our kids.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails