Friday, November 7, 2008

Review: "Tales of Glory" Nativity Play Set


Let me just state for the record, that this play set is truly my children's favorite review product so far, and I honestly didn't think they'd enjoy it.

Why?

Because at 8, 10 and nearly 13 years old, they generally don't like anything outside the computer, The Disney Channel or Playstation. (As disturbing as that is to admit...ahem.)

But they pink-puffy-glitter-heart LOVED this nativity play set from One2Believe.com!

All the crucial figures like Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus/Yeshua, 2 shepherds, 2 angels and 3 Wise Men are included (and yes, I realize the Wise Men weren't there at the birth).

Even the play set's "not-so-crucial" figures, such as a camel, donkey, 2 sheep, a bale of hay, and a palm tree provided a delightful extra splash of realism. A trilingual "Birth of Baby Jesus" booklet rounds out this quality set.

Some of the biggest (weirdest?) highlights of this play set came from the imaginations of my beloved children. According to my youngest daughter Abby, baby Jesus looked like "a caterpillar in a cocoon" all bundled up in His swaddling clothes. (Ooo..kaay.)

And, due to the fact that we'd just finished learning about camels and how they sometimes "spit"...well, let's just say Mr. Nativity Camel exercised said unsavory trait repeatedly.

At the Wise Men's feet.
Because they were 2 years late.

But I digress.

On the positive side, the children re-enacted the birth of the Messiah several times for me to watch (stopping just short of selling tickets), and I was pleased to note that they kept it fairly real.

This play set would make a fun addition to your homeschool or Sunday school classroom. And unlike most Nativity sets, this one doesn't have to be deemed off-limits to curious little fingers! :o)

My only concern with this product is that the figures are very "American" in appearance, rather than Jewish. I realize this can be said for the majority of Christian toys, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just not completely accurate. But, that's just my personal Messianic perspective kicking in. I'm climbing down from my soapbox now.

One2Believe.com offers other great Biblically-based toys such as:
  • "Proverbs 31" dolls
  • Talking "Messengers of Faith" dolls
  • And a variety of additional play sets including Daniel & the Lion's Den, Sampson & Delilah, and David & Goliath.
The company also has a unique Bible Points Program, which allows you to earn free toys. Details about this incentive program can be found here.

Neat freebies, such as coordinating coloring pages and Bible stories, can be found by visiting their website and clicking on the "Resources" tab.

The Tales of Glory Nativity Play Set retails for $24.99, and is available through One2Believe.com

I give this product 2 thumbs up! :o)

** NOTE: Because the pieces are small, the play set is recommended for children 3 years of age and up. **

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails