Sunday, March 15, 2009

Review: Auralog - Tell Me More Spanish Homeschool Edition




I loved learning Spanish back in junior high and high school. I was an A student, and could converse skillfully with my Mexican friends. Well, I'm sad to say that all that has changed. Now, aside from ordering a meal at a Mexican restaurant, counting to 100, or telling my children to get "en la casa", I'm totally lost. (Sigh)

So, needless to say, I was thrilled to receive a copy of Auralog's Tell Me More Homeschool Spanish program to review!  Oh, I could almost hear the mariachi music playing in my head. Ole`!

Auralog's Tell Me More Homeschool Spanish is a DVD program customized for 4 student levels; Complete Beginner, Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced.

The lessons are based on the immersion method, which basically feels like you've been dropped unwillingly in the middle of Mexico, without the aid of a tour guide or map! Then slowly, after much trial and error, you begin to understand the nuances of the language. (Much like a baby learning to talk!)

This comprehensive program arrives with the following components:
  • Complete Beginner DVD Rom (called the "Start Here: New Introductory Level")
  • Espanol DVD Rom (Contains Beginner through Advanced lessons)
  • Audio CD
  • Headset with attached microphone
  • Quick Start Guide (Explains how to choose the right level for your student)
Students are provided with 5,000 lessons/activities, spanning 950 hours of instruction. (Wow!) Lessons can be customized under the following learning modes:
  • Free-to-Roam: Which means just that. You're free to choose activities based on your interests and level.
  • Guided: Recommended for beginners, this allows the program to guide students in a systematic way.
  • Dynamic mode: Evaluates student progress as they go along, and adjusts activities/lessons accordingly.

We've used a few Spanish programs in the past, with decent success. My oldest daughter is a 7th grader, and was very eager to use this program. However, we soon discovered that the immersion method was definitely not her thing. In fact, it pretty much left her frustrated and confused (and we were using the Complete Beginner lessons). She wished for a more "English to Spanish" translation-type-approach instead.

On the other hand, I rather enjoyed the program. I admire the concept of full immersion, even though I felt absolutely lame struggled in the beginning. In addition to re-discovering the language, I gained more cultural insight from this program than from my previous high school Spanish classes. That was something that truly impressed me!

In a few years, I think all three of my children will benefit from this program. We'll just have to take it in baby steps.

Tell Me More Spanish Homeschool Edition can be used by everyone in your family, and provides 4 years worth of instruction. The product is expected to be launched in mid-April, and will retail for $319.99. Compared to the price of other foreign language programs and private lessons for multiple children, the price evens itself out.

You also receive Auralog's amazing, 24/7 customer service and product support--for free! Anytime you find yourself "lost in translation", someone will be there to help. Rapido!

Please visit Tell Me More.com today. While you're there, be sure to take advantage of their free trial and product demos!

I'm pleased to award Auralog's Tell Me More Homeschool Spanish Edition with 1.5 thumbs up. :o)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails