Monday, June 8, 2009

Catchin' Up & Checkin' In

No, I haven't dropped off the face of the Earth. Honest! I have however, been pretty golly-dang-diddly-darn busy. ;o)

I received an email a few weeks back from the Powers That Be over at The Old Schoolhouse magazine, seeking volunteers to help put together a new series of funky (as in WEIRD) Science based unit studies. These e-books will cover a range of yucky-to-odd-yet-still-kinda-interesting topics, like for example...the dung beetle.

Ick.

And since I'm not one to resist the opportunity to write something--anything--for anyone, I volunteered.

So if you have any questions about this feces eating, dwelling, rolling, incredibly ugly beetle, just let me know. (Or better yet...don't. I'm all dung-beetled out!)

I'm also heading up the new Wednesday Featured Member column on the TOS Crew Facebook page. Hooray! Now this, my friends, is the kind of writing I really enjoy. ;o) No bugs, no pootie...just nice homeschooling ladies. If you're not yet a fan of the TOS Crew page, hop on over there right now and sign up. We host giveaways, answer your homeschooling questions, and shine the spotlight on a fabulous new vendor each week! It's a lot of fun, so be sure to check it out. (Yes, that was a rather shameless plug. Ha!)

In other writing news, I'm helping with the Vala Dancewear newsletter. I'm currently in the process of putting together an interview with an extremely talented young dancer/artist, Natalee Maxwell. I will be more than happy to introduce you to her once the interview/newsletter is complete. (Trust me...she's amazing!)

And now for some interesting, "on the home-front" news"...

Abby & Julianah's ballet recital is set for Saturday, June 20th. The girls are VERY excited about wearing their beautiful costumes (teal blue) and crowns (silver with rhinestones) on stage. They've been working so hard on their dance, and I'm so very proud of them (as is Amanda, who will no doubt be reading this at some point).

Sierra recently obtained her brown belt in taekwondo, and Ethan earned his blue. Their teacher, Master Lee, pulled me aside the other day and said he wanted to train Sierra to be a class leader. (How cool is that?!) He said that never, in all his years of training, has he ever met anyone quite like her.

He also stated how proud he was of Ethan, and how he's grown so much this past year. The boy who wanted to cry and give up when things got hard is slowly melting away. In his place is a young man who tries his best no matter what, and is tries to give his perfectionistic-self a break every now 'n then. (I've got 2 perfectionists, folks. Hmm...wonder where they get that from?!)

*My hubby will soon be going for a "swim" with Pastor David. When you're finished pondering the meaning of that, you're welcome to leave a comment and I'll let you know if you're on the right track.*

The children and I are starting some fun virtual classes this week, courtesy of CurrClick.com. We've signed up for the Charlie & the Chocolate Factory unit study, as well as their Basic Spanish course. (Not that I can't teach 'em basic Spanish, but for a whole $1.00, I figured "why not?" That and it might be fun to learn with all the other children online, as well as provide a nice "refresher" course.)

Ethan's decided he wants to learn how to play the piano. This revelation came flying out of his mouth, as I was going over the list of available CurrClick courses. He asked if there were any music courses (aside from "theory"), which I replied there were not. He then stated very matter-of-factly, that he really wanted to learn to play the piano, drums, or guitar. But mostly the piano. Fine! (Gimme a reason to Google, and I'm all over it!)

I located a review page, which several users were singing the praises of one online course in particular, http://www.learnpianoonline.com/. This website offers 5 free lessons, which are so incredibly thorough, it left me stunned and Ethan, thrilled. He now plays part of "Ode to Joy" and all of "Mary Had a Little Lamb", all with correct finger placement and clear understanding of the notes. Not only is he enjoying himself (and practicing every spare moment!), he's learning to read and develop a love for music. Woohoo!

Next year's TOS Crew has been selected, and I'm VERY excited to have my good friend, Mrs. Sharon White, on board! Hooray! Although I've only "met" her online, we quickly became pen pals and cyber-friends, as did Sierra and her daughter, Amy. Mrs. White is a very talented, gentle lady with a strong passion for the home. You can get to know her better by visiting her blog: http://thelegacyofhome.blogspot.com/

Yesterday, we celebrated my beloved friend, Mrs. Darcy's Amanda's birthday. We headed over to Claim Jumper and, once the food came back to everyone's liking, we feasted, laughed, and enjoyed each other's company. I'll post pics once I get them off the camera. (Dean said something about having to use a different card reader than the one on the desk...??) Unfortunatley, Claim Jumper doesn't embarrass the Birthday Person, unlike La Palmera where we went for MY birthday. (And I had to wear that stupid jumbo sombrero...ahem!) But we all sang Happy Birthday and, hopefully, embarrassed Amanda just a teeny bit. :o)

Well, I'm off to get some cleaning done! Until next time may your burdens be light, and your dung beetles be few!  (Sorry...couldn't resist.)

1 comment:

Tina said...

Very exciting for Dean..I won't give it away, but I am pretty sure I already know what you are talking about!! God is SO good!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails