Monday, September 14, 2009

Currently Reading...(Or, "How To Totally, Absolutely, Confuse and Gorge Yourself")

I love to read. (Big shock, huh?) In fact, I love to read so much that I tend to view words as bits of the world's richest, most flavorful, most sought-after chocolate, all wrapped up in gold foil. A treasure meant to be savored...cherished...respected...enjoyed.

Although the above thoughts are noble and paint a very "Princess Bride" picture in one's mind, I'm not one that can eat just "one" bite at a time. No sir. Not me. I'm more of the "all you can eat" buffet visitor, piling my plate higher and higher with said chocolate. Then taking my time to slowly digest each delectable morsel, whilst unbuttoning the top button of my jeans....

This sort of behavior produces a profound rush of euphoria, unequal to that of any other experience. Including guzzling massive quantities of chai tea...which, I must admit, comes in at a very close 2nd place!

However, once the euphoria fades, a feeling of complete and utter confusion sets in. I find myself thinking about one book while deeply engrossed in another. I begin to mesh the two (or more) storylines together, which is somewhat humorous, especially if the two books are completely unrelated. Yet it all leaves me scratching my head in perplexity. Imagine that.

So, for your viewing pleasure, I shall proudly share my current list of reads in hopes that you will join me in a round of chocolate bliss and literary confusion. Enjoy.

  • The Shack, by William P. Young--I've heard such a firestorm of controversy over this little novel that I just had to see for myself what all the hubbub was about. I'm borrowing it from my friend, Lisa-marie. She left off at chapter 9. I hope I don't lose her bookmark.
  • The Shape of Love, by Gelsey Kirkland & Greg Lawrence--I previously read this book several years ago when it was first published. This is the second autobiography by former ABT ballerina, Gelsey Kirkland, and shares the story of her "triumphant return to the stage" with London's Royal Ballet.
  • Knockout Entrepreneur, by George Forman--I'm actually reading this book for a review on behalf of Thomas Nelson publishers.
  • Ascending Peculiarity: Edward Gorey on Edward Gorey--This book was recommended to me by Rachel, of Vala Diva fame. One chapter in particular tells of his fascination with George Balanchine ballets...very interesting read! I also LOVE the title..."Ascending Peculiarity". What a fun phrase, don't you agree? Ascending peculiarity...gosh, I love that.
  • The Audrey Hepburn Treasures--This is another gem from Miss Rachel. Of particular interest is Ms. Hepburn's ballet background.
  • The Creative Habit, by Twyla Tharp--Dancer/choreographer Twyla Tharp explains how to make creativity a lifelong habit. No matter what your creative outlet is, she shows you how to take a blank canvas and see the work of art hidden inside, just waiting to emerge.
Whew! I don't know about you, but I'm stuffed....(Hic!) Excuse me.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'll be interested to hear what you think of The Shack. I too have heard much controversy but haven't read it and doubt I will bother.

Yogic Chai said...

I was looking for a way to get in touch with you but didn't see a contact form anywhere.

I see that you love Chai, which is something we have a passion for. I am not sure if yo have or not heard from us yet, but I think you will enjoy taking a visit to our site at http://www.yogicchai.com

We also have an in house Affiliate Program that you might be interested in joining.

Anyhow, it was nice visiting your blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails