Friday, September 25, 2009

The Older THEY Get, the Busier YOU Get!

So the other day, Dean and I were lamenting over how busy our lives have become now that the kids are older. They've got their own various activities during the week, most of which happen in a rapid succession. Bam, bam, bam!

Quite honestly, we never expected this...at all! I mean, sure we've heard of families that had Kid 1 doing this, while Kid 2 does that, and the parents kept zipping along in two different directions, barely meeting in the middle for more than 30 minutes at a time. That always struck me as incredibly stressful and unnecessary.

Well, here we are, just a few years later! We’ve officially joined the cast of Busy Parents, running this way 'n that as we shuttle kids 1-3 back ‘n forth to their respected classes (by van, foot, or bus) around town.
Our weekly schedule consists of:
  • Ballet (M/Th for 1-1.5 hrs depending upon the day)
  • Taekwondo (M-F for 1-2.5 hrs, depending upon the kid in question, with starting times overlapping with ending times for ballet)
  • Dean’s physical therapy sessions (T/Th which overlap with ballet start times)
  • running errands in between classes or Dean’s side jobs
  • and finally Sierra’s month-long cake decorating class (which overlaps with taekwondo).
In addition, we recently added Youth Group to Sierra’s Wednesday nights. (This I felt was a necessary edition, therefore I’m not stressed about adding it to the mix.)

Now I realize that this is nothing compared to other families out there. However, our activities—though limited to only a few venues—were causing confusion as to who-was-supposed-to-be-where-at-what-time. Dean couldn’t keep up with all we had going on, and was constantly asking “So, what are we doing tonight?” or my personal favorite, “So what day are we all going to be home for a 3 hour stretch?” (Uhhh…Sunday?)

Enter calendar synchronization!

Thanks to Google Calendar (a nifty feature, I must admit!), I was able to fill in everyone’s respected appointments and activities, then share/sync them with Dean’s Outlook.

Yes, you read right. We’re “one of those” people now. Scary, huh?

I think this will work a lot better than my color-coded calendar sheet on the kitchen counter that--although in plain view--seems to escape Dean’s eyesight, not to mention my own personal T0-Do lists I’ve got going on.
We’re still figuring this whole system out (apparently he’s added a computer job but I can’t “see” it….weird), but I think this may work out for us in the long run.

(Man, I never thought I’d see the day when I had to use the phrase, “sync my calendar”!)

So what about you? How does your family handle all the various “kid” activities going on during the week?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails