Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Annihilation Attempts Proven Unsuccessful...For Now

The "annihilator" in question is Ms. Jillian Michaels, the personal trainer of Biggest Loser fame.

I received all 3 of her DVD's for the holidays (Thanks, Mom!), and was very eager to crack them open as soon as Dean went to work on Monday morning. I began with "No More Trouble Zones" which features a 5 min warm-up, a 45 minute circuit comprised of low weights (Jillian uses 3 lbs) and high reps, then finally a 5 minute cool down. Both the cueing and choreography are terrific--nothing fancy or frilly whatsoever! And even though I'm used to lifting weights heavier than 3-5 lbs, this workout manages to provide a significant challenge. Each of the 7 circuits (yeah, I said 7) alternates between standing and floor moves that target your chest, back, shoulders, arms, abs, thighs, fanny and hips. You can check out a clip of it by clicking here.



Now, I did this workout on both Monday and Tuesday mornings, and loved every single minute of it. In fact, the only reason I did it on Tuesday was because I wasn't sore after Monday. (Wait for it...)

HOWEVER, all that changed as Tuesday wore on. (Pride goeth before a fall, right?) By 7pm it was all I could do to not yelp "Ow, my tush!" every 10 minutes.

Not to say that I wasn't grateful! Believe me, if a workout can be completed without a mild "ow" factor during or afterwards, I'm sorely disappointed. (Yeah, that was a bad pun.)

So because I didn't think my tush could handle further abuse, I decided to crack open the cardio routine, "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism". This is another 40-ish minute circuit nestled snuggly between a 5 minute warm up and cool down. The workout utilizes your own body weight--no dumbbells required--and moves swiftly through a series of heart-pounding, sweat inducing, gasping for air like a hooked fish moves like kickboxing, old school plyometrics, jogging, jumping rope (less the rope), and serious plank work done on the floor. I highly recommend keeping a hand towel close by, if you catch my drift.

The moves themselves aren't difficult, but when you do them with real intensity--trust me, sweetums. You're gonna feel it! And really, how can you not feel it after you've jumped up 'n down repeatedly, in various shape and form, a bizillion times over? I mean...HELLO?! You can check it out for yourself here.

Now, the last DVD is by no means least. I haven't used it yet this week but I have used it heavily in the past, courtesy of OnDemand. I'm talking about The 30 Day Shred.


This baby consists of three 20-minute workouts (beginner, intermediate, advanced) that utilize a pair of light dumbbells (3-5 lbs). You start out with 3 minutes of strength training moves, followed by 2 minutes of cardio, then 1 minute of ab work---then repeat. No chance for rest. There's a lot of variety in this workout which keeps you moving, motivated and challenged.

But please! Whatever you do, don't go into it thinking that because it's only 20 minutes, it's going to be (horror of horrors) easy! View a clip here.

I plan to alternate these videos exclusively for the next 30 days. If you don't hear from me after that, it'll mean that Jillian finally succeeded in annihilating my arrogant, cocky self. However, you can rest assured that I will have gone out with a smile on my face. ;o) ....Oh, yeah! Bring it on!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I tried the EA Sports Active for the Wii and thought, "Ha! This is nothing at all!" My body said differently the next day. I need to get back on it. Your motivation to win is contagious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails