Saturday, January 2, 2010

Relaxation With a Touch of Restlessness (and the Hunt for a Good Book)



Here it is, another Shabbat and "the fam" and I are loafing like fat cats relaxing.


It's the last weekend before "Everything Goes Back to Normal" Monday, which in itself is kinda freaky. Well, more for Dean than me. Monday for him means "there will be no more 4 or 5 day weekends for a loooong time". It also means that the kids' ballet and tae kwon do lessons start up again, which the girls are excited about. Ethan? Not so much.

Just prior to entering church today, I was feeling rather put-off by the whole idea. I was even half-tempted not to go because I just couldn't escape this "blah" feeling. Pathetic but true. Now, I'm going to admit something that I haven't openly shared in "public" before, and it's this...(clearing throat).


I'm bored. Spiritually bored. I want so much more than I have received thus far in my 13 years of Believerhood. But more of what? I'm not sure. I mean, I know I want more of Him. That much is certain. But I also feel such incredible stirrings inside of me, like I'm on the threshold of something utterly fantastic. And if I make the choice to seek after it and grab on with both hands, I'll have achieved something great. Hmm. Perhaps a better description would be "restless". I'm spiritually restless. (Nodding my head) Yeah, I like how that sounds better than "bored".

Anyway, I sucked it up and went to church. After all, today was our monthly "oneg" (potluck/potbless, whichever term you prefer), and it was our turn to bring a dessert which was nice, considering we usually get asked to bring a salad which is just sick 'n wrong.

Then whilst I was devouring my lunch (which consisted of everything but salad) a charming couple whom I only know as "the ones who sit behind us" (yeah, I'm a bonehead) started chatting with me. The lady began sharing a bit of her personal testimony with me (which was quite fascinating by the way), when she suddenly stopped, looked me square in the eye and said: "Don't give up. Don't walk away. This (gazing around the sanctuary) is about to explode and it'll be something great. Just wait and see. And you and your family are going to be a big part of it."

Seriously, how cool is that?! I hadn't shared anything about what I was feeling, then she pops off with the exact words I needed to hear. Only God, folks. Only God! Needless to say, I was feeling pretty darn perky after that. :) I gave her a gigantic hug and thanked her profusely. What a cool lady. I don't know why I didn't get to know her sooner. (Oh, right. Because I'm a bonehead.)

After we came home from church, I decided to get some cleaning done so I could relax. I know...I know. Doing housework on Shabbat is a huge no-no. However, you must understand that I simply *cannot* relax in a messy house. It goes against my inner clean-freak. So, I washed up the breakfast dishes, swept the floors, scrubbed the bathroom, threw the laundry in, then took out the trash. (Granted this was also done yesterday too, but like I said: F-R-E-A-K)


Moving on!

Dean's busy watching the movie, District 9 so the children have been sequestered to the opposite end of the house. It's rated R and I don't care how much Ethan insists he can "handle it" and how "totally awesome" the previews are, he's NOT watching it. Period. I'm trying to ignore said movie by focusing on my charming little laptop. Seems every time I look up, something gross or "shoot 'em up, blow up, made-especially-for-dudes" scene is on and frankly, that ain't my cup o' tea. :)

I picked up a couple of Christian "chick-lit" novels from the library the other day which, I'm sad to say, aren't as good as I thought they'd be. They're both by author, Kristen Billerbeck. Ever hear of her? Anyway, I guess I'm just used to the "heathen" variety of chick-lit (a`la Jennifer Weiner and Jane Porter) instead. Not that these books are poorly written or anything like that, but the plot is a bit lacking for my taste. (No offense to any Billerbeck fans out there.)


Oh! Speaking of books. I signed up to review books for Bethany House Publishers. I'm set to review my first book from them very soon! I can't wait! (I love free books, don't you?) By the way, have ya'll read any good books lately? If so, what are they? I'm wide open to suggestions! I'm in the midst of a literary drought. It's most distressing.

Well, the movie's over and the children are now clamoring for pizza. (Go figure.) So on that note, I shall close. Tootles!



1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love hearing when God does that to people! I can't wait to hear what he has in store for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails