Monday, February 1, 2010

Review: MathScore.com



Developed by MIT graduates, MathScore.com is an online subscription service offering students a solid, no-frills approach to sharpening their math skills from 1st grade through Algebra 1. The basis of the program is timed drills/assignments, which parents can adjust accordingly to meet their child's needs. Each student works to earn points; the more points they earn, the higher their ranking. Each new level of achievement is awarded with fireworks and cute little trophies.

MathScore.com can be used as a supplement or as your main curriculum. It's designed to increase your child's test scores and improve their overall mastery. (Hooray!) Your student can work from an assigned list of topics based on his/her grade level, or they may choose to work on specific topics of their choice.

Parents are given complete access to their child's reports. Simply log in and see just how little Suzie or Junior's been doing! Email reports, which I found to be rather nifty, are also provided.

Our Experience:

What's really great about MathScore is that it lacks all those cutesy "extras". Many moms out there complain that most educational websites are just colorful "fluff" lacking real substance. Not so with MathScore!

However, I have to admit that my children did not like it for precisely that reason. They like the extras, the colors, the fluffy, there's-really-no-point-except-to-make-kids-happy. And umm...frankly...so do I. (There I said it.) But this doesn't mean I didn't like MathScore; on the contrary, I found it be excellent for drills and brush-ups!

I loved the fact that the assignments were timed (something we used to do a lot of, but lately got out of the habit of doing), and that I could adjust the time to whatever length was necessary for each child. I was also pleased with how the parent reports were broken down: I knew exactly which problems my child worked on, how long they worked, and where they needed more work.

Price:

If you're in the market for a no-frills online math option, I urge you to check out MathScore.com. A subscription costs just $14.95 per month for the first child, with hefty discounts offered for subsequent family members.

You can also take advantage of a free two week trial by clicking here.

Final Thoughts:

Overall, I was fairly pleased with how well MathScore.com performed. Althought it was not my children's first (or second) choice for math, it did provide a nice drill format that I appreciated. We give MathScore.com 1 thumb up. :)

To read what my fellow TOS Crew Members had to say about this product, please click here.



*As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I was provided with a free trial of this product for review. No additional compensation was provided, and the thoughts and views expressed are my own.*

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails