Thursday, February 18, 2010

Review: Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen (Insight Edition)


Jane Austen's classic tale of a pair of two very different sisters, and their quest to find their own true love...

As most of you already know, I'm a huge Jane Austen fan! I've read all her books several times and never seem to tire of them. Reading Jane's writings is a bit like curling up with a cup of tea while visiting with a very dear friend. Some things are just meant to be cherished and savored.

While I have taken the time to do a little research on Austen's life and works, I was curious about the new Insight Edition of Sense & Sensibility by Bethany House Publishers. The Insight Edition seeks to provide readers with a deeper level of understanding of Austen's world and that of her famous characters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. No "Googling" required.

This recently published version provides clever trivia and tidbits which are sprinkled throughout the margins of the book. Also included is a helpful Quick Guide that acts as a key for deciphering the note's symbols, and a Questions for Conversation section that can be used for book club discussions.

While I admit to feeling almost giddy with anticipation over this book, I found myself feeling a bit disappointed by some of the commentary. I was very interested in both the historical and cultural notations, but I really didn't care to read what felt like an overabundance of "opinion". For example, "Mrs. Dashwood would've loved HGTV." {page 33} To me, that felt completely unnecessary. Also the flash of "today's society/vernacular" while reading a novel set during the early 1800's felt a bit jarring at times.

However, the Insight Edition does hold many interesting bits of information that most, if not all, Jane-ites will readily appreciate. I also enjoyed the fresh new cover art, which added a lovely ambiance to this most delicious diversion. :)

For more information or to purchase this book, please visit Bethany House.

(*I was provided with a free copy of Sense & Sensibility-The Insight Edition by Bethany House publishers for the purpose of this review. No additional compensation was provided.*)

3 comments:

TOSHeidi said...

Great review! I need to review this one too.

~SHANNON~ said...

I love Jane Austen! What a fun review!

Hello! I found your blog through Friday Follow- and I'm so glad I did! Hope lot's of new people find you as well!

I'm your newest follower- I'd love if you'd come check out my blog!

Shannon at:http://www.milkandcuddles.com/

lovemylevi said...

Following from the Friday Follow! Hope to see you at http://luvsjurn3.blogspot.com soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails