Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Never Too Tired for the Ballet…

This is week three of Dean’s OT. (Hey, that rhymes!) For the past 16 weekdays, I’ve been waking up by 4am (which is an insanely vicious, ghastly, ungodly hour in case you were wondering), so as to get Dean up and out the door by 4:30am. sick_and_tired_green_guy

And while I could technically go back to bed after he leaves, I never do. Why? I have no idea. Perhaps it’s my inner martyr reasoning, “It’s only fair that you should suffer along with your husband.” (Ha!) Or perhaps it’s just because I’m stupid. Your choice.

Needless to say, my writing projects have been increasingly difficult to finish. Every time I type something, I find myself going back over (and over…and over!) a multitude of typos. Typos bug me. I hate the way they slow me down and cause me to back-track. I hate back-tracking, too. Unless it’s in the grocery store. Then I’m okay with it. However, it drives Dean nuts when I do it. What was I talking about again? Oh, right. Typos. I hate typos.

Among my list of writing assignments is a review for Pacific Northwest Ballet’s Choreographer’s Showcase. This was last Wednesday night and it was AWESOME! Dean and I were able to bring Abby along, which she got a huge kick out of.

At first I wasn’t sure how well Dean and I would hold up, considering we were already exhausted from lack of sleep. But thanks to the powers of strong coffee and double cups of chai, we managed to pull ourselves together quite nicely. :)

Each performance placed the star quality of both the choreographers and the PNBS students on prominent display. Not one flaw was to be noted; not one detail was found lacking. Nothing smacked of amateurism but instead rang with the notes of a gorgeously crafted, thoroughly entertaining event. Awesome!

After the show, we stayed for the Q & A session which featured all of the choreographers (Seth Orza, Jonathan Poretta—quite the hoot!, Barry Kerollis, Andrew Bartee and Margaret Mullin) and Artistic Director, Peter Boal. Abby was growing tired by that point, but was enormously happy to listen to the dancers explain things like lighting, rehearsals, choosing dancers and more. I consider it a huge part of her dance education. ;)

And wvala_mesmerize_72dpihile all that was great fun, the real highlight of the evening was during the intermission when I introduced Abby to Olivier Wevers, Seth Orza and Laura Gilbreath. She’s heard me talk about each of them, and has seen plenty of pictures of Laura all over the Vala office. (Laura is one of the Vala/Class Act Tutu models.) 

Here’s how the meeting with Laura went. Abby spied the lovely dancer standing off to our left. “Can I meet her, Mama?” she whispered, her eyes wide as saucers. “Of course!” I replied. “Let’s go say hello, shall we?” As we made our approach, Abby grabbed my hand and literally dug her fingernails in. Hard. She was so nervous! :)

After a brief introduction, The Moment happened. Laura smiled sweetly and bent down to talk to Abby. She asked how old she wasLauratutu, if she was having a good time, if she took ballet class, etc. Abby was positively awestruck. The meeting only lasted a few moments but my little Pookie couldn’t stop smiling for the rest of the night. It was wonderful! (Laura, if you happen to see this—Thank you again!) 

Well, now that I’m all fired up again about that night, I should probably get back to work. :)

*Laura Gilbreath, Pacific Northwest Ballet. (Isn’t she stunning, folks?) Photos courtesy of Vala Dancewear/Class Act Tutu. Photography by Angela Sterling. *

1 comment:

TOSHeidi said...

Sounds like fun! I would have loved to see the look on Abby's face when she first spotted Laura. I bet it was priceless!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails