Friday, April 9, 2010

Review: The Terrestria Chronicles

webheader If your children enjoy action-packed allegorical novels, especially those set in medieval times, then you’ll definitely want to check out The Terrestria Chronicles by Ed Dunlop.
The Terrestria Chronicles is an incredible, faced-paced adventure series filled with dangerous quests, epic battles, knights and castles, fierce sword fights and a benevolent King--all wrapped up in a big inspirational bow.

The three-fold purpose of this series is to “…honor Jesus Christ as King, to challenge young readers to love and serve Him, and to teach them to guard their hearts for Him. The focus of the series is always on the King.”
terres7 We received books 6 (The Golden Lamps) and 7 (The Great War) for review. (Please note that while you can obviously read the books out of sequence, it isn’t recommended.) The series is comprised of seven books, and is written for children age 10 and up.

I decided to hand them Ethan (11) and Abby (10) as part of their “assigned reading” time. I wasn’t expecting too much by way of a reaction, but when Ethan emerged from his room, he was beaming.
He absolutely loved them!  Seriously, unequivocally, L-O-V-E-D them!!!

Now like I said, I wasn’t expecting this kind of reaction out of him at all. For one thing…well, let’s just say he’s notterres8 what you’d call a “bookworm”. {Ahem} In fact, he actually flinched when the books arrived.

And while he’s really into The Lord of the Rings, he never got into The Chronicles of Narnia. Ever. (He honestly prefers lima beans to them.) Therefore I just assumed that heavy allegory wasn’t his deal. Boy, was I wrong!

Abby on the other hand, wasn’t too keen on them. In fact, I think her head short-circuited while reading the first chapter of The Golden Lamps! (But then, if a book doesn’t consist of fluffy pink puppies or ballerinas, she’s not into it.)

What I appreciated most about these books was the fact that the whole wizardry/magic/sorcery thing is completely left out. This makes the series super easy to recommend to the most conservative families I know. (A rare find indeed!)

Now I must confess that like my daughter, I found the books to be distinctly “boyish” in their content. (Read: totally not my thing.) However, I do think they’re excellently penned and well-worth the investment.
The Terrestria Chronicles are available for $7.99 each (paperback)or you can purchase the complete set for $39.99. A full hardcover set is available for $73.99 (individual titles unavailable).

The handy 120 page study guide, Visits To Terrestria, can be yours for only $5.99. To learn more please click here.

If you’re curious to read what my fellow TOS Crew members had to say about these and other Terrestria titles, please click here.

As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I received a copy of each of these books for free in exchange for an honest review. No additional compensation was provided.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails