Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Review: Kregel Publications-The Trouble With Treasure

kregellogonewbw

I’ve only recently heard of author Susan K. Marlow and her Circle C Adventures Series. When I learned I would receive a copy of her latest book, “Andrea Carter and the Trouble with Treasure” (Book 5 in the Circle C Series), I was eager to see what all the hubbub was about.

About the Story

Set in the Sierra Nevada in 1881, thirteen year old Andrea (Andi) Carter, her older brother Mitch, and their friends are on the hunt for gold. Unfortunately, our adventurous band of treasure hunters soon finds themselves in a world of trouble, and Mitch’s life is suddenly hanging in the balance. It’s up to Andi to save her brother and the day.

My Opinion

While the subject matter isn’t really my thing (horses, treasure hunting, “western” type reads)—nor is it my children’s—I did appreciate the overall beauty of this well-articulated story. TroubleTreasure

Marlow does an excellent job of getting into the minds of her characters and in turn, the hearts of her readers. The lessons that Andi and her pals learn are presented within the context of the story, and don’t have that oppressively “preachy” tone like other books have from time to time. The plot is laden with suspense and plenty of action, making this a really quick read.

If your daughter is fond of the Little House books or perhaps the America Girl series, you’ll want to check these books out!

Andrea Carter and the Trouble with Treasure is available from Kregel Publications for $7.99. You can read Chapter One here.  And be sure to check out their really cool, totally FREE unit study guide here.

If you’d like to read what my fellow Crew mates had to say about this product, please visit the TOS Crew’s blog here.

And with that, dear friends, I bring my current voyage with the TOS Homeschool Crew to a close. This is my final review of the school year. (Wow!) I’ll be back this fall with more awesome product reviews for your enjoyment. :) Have a great summer, everyone!

*As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I received a free copy of the above book for free in exchange for an honest review. No additional compensation was provided and the thoughts/views expressed are strictly my own.*

1 comment:

Susan Marlow said...

Hi Denise,
I'm finally popping over to extend a sincere thanks for your kind review of TWT. I enjoyed reading it.
You gals on the Crew have really had your hands full this year (my friend, Karla Cook, is on the Crew and it sounds very labor-intensive). So again, I do thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Blessings,
Susan (AKA the author)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails