Friday, July 16, 2010

Fit Mommy Friday



*If you're new to my blog and would like to join the merry band of mommies working hard to get--or stay--fit, please click here for all the details.*


This week's topic: Stress Managment (LOL)

Right off the bat, allow me to admit to my nutritional failures (x's a kajillion!) this week. As I've mentioned a time or two in the past, I'm one of those "emotional eaters" that binges on junk whenever the going gets tough. I realize this is a totally stupid thing to do, but never-the-less, I find it soothing. Until I step on the scale the next day that is. {Yikes} Then I find myself feeling less-than-soothed.

I had been doing so well up until about Tuesday when my plumbing decided to stage a hostile takeover. As my washing machine hit its spin cycle, dirty water would suddenly flow back up into the tub and our single (yes, single!) toilet would overflow. {Nice...} Our landlady--who really is a sweetheart and I totally felt bad for her--came over, along with her friend, Rob who acts as our maintenance guy. He's pretty cool, too. Anyway, they set out to snake the plumbing but couldn't find the house's "clean outs" (ever hear of those? I hadn't until that very moment), so they had to dig. And dig. And dig. Eventually they asked Rob's nephew to come over and help. (Believe me, this was a HUGE undertaking and I'm so glad I never felt the urge to get a blue-collar job!)

Long story short, the plumbing wasn't fixed until 11:30pm. By then, I'd finished off the anniversary cake I'd received a few days before. Trust me, there was waaaaay more than one slice left to begin with. More like three! I was that stressed. (I know that sounds nuts, but when you're going to the grocery store to use the ladies room, or you're wondering how you'll take a shower in the morning? Or do laundry??? Enough said.)

Then the very next day, I received word that my sister had been admitted to the hospital. (She has a severe form of Lupus.) She lives way out in Pennsylvania and I'm over yonder in Washington. This news unleashed another wave of anxiety, which brought on yet another binge, this time consisting of Chicken in a Biscuit crackers, a bowl of Frosted Flakes, and a peanut butter sandwich. In one sitting. At one point Dean--my sweet, smooth talking husband, saw what was happening and asked, "Do you honestly think eating all that's going to help?"

No. I mean, yes. I mean...oh, darn it all!

Later that night, I rode my exercise bike for over an hour and did 4 sets of 20 push-ups. That felt so much better than the food! :)  My workouts both before and since these incidents have been good. I've clocked at least 60 minutes of exercise in each day, plus additional walks (per usual).

Want to hear something interesting and kinda weird? I actually lost 2 lbs this week! {Wow, how did that happen?}

So does anyone else stress-binge like there's an international food shortage or like a bear getting ready to hibernate for the winter? Hopefully not!!!! But if you do, I just want to say that the "power" workouts relaxed my nerves far better than the food and I'm sure it'll be the same for you. Give it a shot next time and let me know. :)

To recap: Workouts--60 mins + each day with the exception of Wednesday (120 minutes +)
                Nutrition--Not good at all. Over-ate significantly and all junk!
                Positives--Lost 2 lbs
                Negatives--See "nutrition"

How was your week????

5 comments:

Heather said...

What a week!! I am so glad you turned it around and were able to work out and actually lose weight! Praying for you and your family--I'll try to do the fit mommy again sometime--it is fun to read and you are really inspiring people with it!!

homeschool101 said...

What a week! I had a rough one to. Sounds like you worked hard to turn it around so that is great. Keep it up, hard work but we can do it. Hang in there, your doing great.

Annie Kate said...

Well, Denise, perhaps you just have to eat more to lose weight. (And I'm only half kidding; there is some scientific basis to that.)

I hope next week will be less stressful, just as good for exercising, and better for healthy eating.

And I hope your sister is doing better.

((Hugs))

Annie Kate

Laura O said...

Nope, no stress eating going on here (my tongue is so IN my cheek as I type that!)

It sounds like you're really balancing off the extra calories, though, with all the stress busting workouts. It's just hard to sometimes remember that exercise can help you feel better when all the junk food is calling out to be eaten.

Briana said...

Congrats on the weight loss.

I hope you have a much better low stress week! Prayers for your sis.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails