Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Book Review: Never Say Never

Kai Miller floats through life like driftwood tossed by waves. She's never put down roots in any one place--and she doesn't plan to. But when a chaotic hurricane evacuation lands her in Daily, Texas, she begins to think twice about her wayfaring existence. And when she meets hometown-boy Kemp Eldridge, she can almost picture settling down in Daily--until she discovers he may be promised to someone else. Daily has always been a place of refuge for those the wind blows in, but for Kai, it looks like it will be just another place to leave behind. Then again, Daily always has a few surprises in store--especially when Aunt Donetta has cooked up a scheme. ~ Never Say Never

Right off the bat, I must admit that I have a hard time enjoying Christian fiction. In fact, I tend to shy away from it 99% of the time because most of the current plots leave me feeling deflated instead of pumped and energized. However, as I made my way through, "Never Say Never", I found myself mildly reconsidering that opinion.

This was my first experience with author, Lisa Wingate and I admit--I'm impressed. Her writing style is very easy, breezy and light; her characters well crafted and articulate. I enjoyed the fact that Wingate's attention to detail was just enough to give a good, overall picture without overpowering the storyline. (Something many authors tend to do, which drives me nuts...)

The story switches back and forth between Donetta's and Kai's perspective, which I thought would make things difficult to follow. However as the book progressed, I found myself enjoying that little facet more and more. It kept the story from growing stale and my mind thoroughly engaged, something I haven't experienced with this genre in quite some time.

Although I found the ending to be slightly predictable, I enjoyed myself along the way. "Never Say Never" would make a great summer read--fun, excitement, adventure and of course, redemption and restoration--all rolled into one.

*Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for the purpose of this review. No additional compensation was provided and the thoughts and views expressed are strictly my own.*

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails