Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Embracing Change

Well, this certainly isn't how I expected the new year to begin.

On New Year's Day, everyone was called to the hospital to rally around my Grandma. She'd been brought in via ambulance with severe flu symptoms. It was then discovered that she had pneumonia which quickly turned into acidosis, which rapidly progressed to septic shock. She passed away on Sunday morning, January 2nd, less than 24 hrs after being admitted.

The challenges of going through--and watching other family members--struggle with grief is more difficult than I can explain. {My family has seen more than its fair share of the inside of funeral homes and hospital rooms over the past 10 years, I can assure you.} I feel especially sad for my mother and aunt, who are the only remaining members of their immediate family.

Yet in spite of everything, and because of God's incredible grace, we always manage to pull through. In some ways, we're stronger; in some ways we're more vulnerable. But with every loss, we gain another reminder of just how precious and fleeting life truly is.

And we take no one for granted.

We remember the good times and cherish our memories. We laugh, we cry and we learn to move on. Step by step, one foot in front of the other because as hard as it is sometimes, life truly does go on. Whether we want it to or not. Life is all about change. Nothing stays the same. And maybe--just maybe--it's for our own good. I have to believe that. I have to believe that grief and loss are somehow designed for our good by the God who loves us so much.

This somber reality check comes on the heels of other good changes within my immediate family:

  • My new job with Living My MoMent starts this week.
  • I've cut my hours back at the hospital to weekends only.
  • I've been offered a brand new position as a virtual assistant with Happy Money Saver.com.
  • Abby's grueling rehearsal schedule for Pacific Northwest Ballet's Cinderella begins this week {she was offered the role of a "clock child" ~ aka: pumpkin ~ in the upcoming ballet}
Life is always moving. Constantly changing. It never remains stagnant. But thankfully, we have a God in heaven who never changes, loves us completely and walks through each and every aspect of life with us.

4 comments:

Heidi... said...

I've been struggling with change lately too, Denise. Came across this today in my study... the life of a Christian is never about sameness. It is always about change. ~Beth Moore "Breaking Free"

Praying for you in yet another season of change!
~H

Dianna said...

So sorry to hear of your loss!Thank you for sharing this great reminder for the New Year!

Rachel said...

Beautiful post, Denise. Praying for you all.

Maureen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. My grandmother also passed away a few years ago as a result of complications from pneumonia. Then my mother-in-law's aunt passed away a couple of weeks ago from the same thing. She had just turned 99, been living completely independently all her life, and was a vigorous woman, sow e were all caught completely unawares. It does seem to take a lot of the elderly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails