Friday, January 14, 2011

Review: Positive Action for Christ

PositiveActionForChrist2

Positive Action for Christ is one of the country's leading publishers of Bible curriculum for children and teens from a fundamentalist perspective. I was sent a copy of The Life of Christ for review.

Designed for students in grades 7-12, The Life of Christ contains an in-depth look at Christ through the Book of John. From the website:

ssk1300GROUP To many people Christ is merely a historical fact, rather than a living, personal reality. We know that Christ lived, and we know much about what He did; however, even we as Christians seldom experience His presence as we should.

The purpose of The Life of Christ from the Gospel of John is to make Jesus Christ real to your students. Our hope as you journey through this material is that your students will not only know Jesus more, but also love Him more.

The Life of Christ is a year-long (35 weekly lessons) program that contains the following:

  • Teacher's Manual in a 3-ring binder with organizational tabs,
  • Student Manual (softcover) with full color illustrations,
  • CD that contains overhead transparencies for classroom use
  • Quizzes, tests and sample schedules

The program is designed to be used in the classroom or homeschool setting, as well as an independent "devotional" program. I felt that this was a great feature, considering my - and my daughter's - independent streaks! :o)

The Pros:

What I really appreciated most about this program was that it really made you think. It's not just some simple "fill-in-the-blank" Bible study program (although there are several blanks to fill in). The Life of Christ challenges students to really dig deep and think about what they're learning--about what they believe--and why. I also enjoyed the historical focus, particularly in regard to the changing geography of Israel.

The Cons:

Although the doctrine isn't exactly on-par with my own (then again, very few programs are, considering I'm a Messianic), I could respect the overall message the product was trying to convey. However, I would have preferred to see more of a Hebraic focus, considering it's about Jesus' life. But again, that's just me. :o) I also found the artwork reminiscent of those old-fashioned Bible StoryBooks I used to leaf through at doctor's offices when I was a kid. (Remember those? Where Jesus looks distinctly Roman?) Not my favorite but again...that's just me.

Details:

The Life of Christ Student Manual is available for $17.95 and the Teacher's Manual is available for $41.95 through Positive Action for Christ. You can view sample pages from both manuals here.

*As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I received the above products for free in exchange for an honest review. No additional compensation was provided and the thoughts/views expressed in this review are my own.*

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails