Friday, March 26, 2010

DVD Review: What's In the Bible? from Phil Vischer

whatsbible When my children were younger, they absolutely loved Veggie Tales. Larry Boy was my son's hero for a number of years and they all had their favorite stories and songs. {My personal favorite was--and still is--King George and the Ducky. Just in case you were wondering. Ahem.}

Now, in an effort to help young children really understand what's really inside the Bible (you know, that big book sitting on the shelf) comes a brand new DVD series from Phil Vischer, the creator of the Veggie Tales, entitled What's in the Bible?

With its cast of friendly puppets, colorful animations, lively songs (think "Silly Songs with Larry"), and even Phil himself, What's in the Bible? answers a child's "heaviest" theological questions such as:
  • Who wrote the Bible?,
  • How do we know it's true? and
  • How do all these stories fit together in one book?
The first DVD is aptly titled, "In the Beginning" and covers Creation through Noah's Ark. The second installment, "Let My People Go" is all about Moses and the book of Exodus. {Perfect timing with Passover right around the corner! In fact, I plan to show this to my little Shabbat school class this week.}
While my children felt that they’re a bit too old for the series, they did share more than a few giggles watching it (including the Teenager!). ;o) I personally enjoyed the fact that while it is zany and a little goofy, it did have an important theme which was well-conveyed across the entire program. After all, the best children’s ministry leaders are those that can balance humor with serious teaching. Point being? Mr. Vischer has once again hit the nail on the head! I can definitely see this series becoming a huge hit with children, parents, and ministry leaders alike.

What's in the Bible? would make a great homeschool supplement for preschoolers through about 4th grade. And rumor has it, there will even be a complete curriculum based on the 13 part series, slated for release in June 2010. Woohoo! Now that is definitely something I plan to look into for my Shabbat school class. ;o)

Now that you’re all dying to check this product out, I have a special announcement. (Wait for it…)

The kind folks over at Tyndale House Publishers (the ones responsible for bringing this awesome product to light) have graciously given me (here it comes…)

2 free product certificates (one for each DVD) to award to 2 lucky blog readers! (One DVD per winner) Pretty cool, huh?

To enter, simply leave a comment below. Additional comments (limit 1 per day) count as additional entries. Re-posting this giveaway over on your blog, Facebook or Twitter also counts. :) Be sure to let me know of any extra Facebook or Twitter activity (along with a valid email address so I can contact you) in your blog comment.

Two winners will be randomly selected from all entries received on Friday, April 2, 2010.

Please note: Winners will receive a free product certificate which must be redeemed at your local Christian bookstore in exchange for 1 free copy of the DVD listed. Winner must pay tax where applicable. If no store is available—or for winners outside the U.S., winner must order directly from Tyndale by filling out the back of the certificate and mailing it in. One award certificate per winner and their family each month. Product certificates expire June 1, 2010.

Oh yes. One last thing. I’ve also been given some cute coloring pages to give out to my readers as well. Simply send an email to deniseopper at gmail dot com if you’re interested. (This isn’t a contest and anyone can request them. I just can’t figure out how to post PDF’s to my blog. Hee hee!)

*I received this product for free from Tyndale Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. No monetary compensation was provided and the opinions/thoughts expressed in this review post are my own.*

10 comments:

The Crazy Mom said...

I love the Belly Button Song!!!

Debbie said...

I'd like to enter! I think my daughter would enjoy this series!

Debra said...

I want this series so very much! And my favorite Veggie Tales is Josh and the Big Wall, as that is the first one we owned. It's also the only one we don't now own on DVD. How sad is that?

terri said...

I would love to win one of these.

BurkhertsTravel at yahoo dot com

terri said...

I posted this on Facebook.

BurkhertsTravel at yahoo dot com

6intow said...

How exciting! I just heard Phil talking about this on Chris Fabry Live the other day and was very intrigued.

Thank you~Erin

HillaryM said...

We would love to win this. We did Big Idea's Ambassador program when they would send you the DVD, so we have many, but no new ones. This looks great from the trailer.

Kimberly said...

Sounds wonderful!

Paula Rodriguez said...

I'd like to enter your contest. This would be a great gift for my grandchildren when they visit.

Paula

Debra said...

Okay, so I was inspired to go get DVDs of Veggie Tales we don't own... which turned out to be more than just Josh. Guess what? Josh & the Big Wall is the only one Mardel didn't have. :(

I came oh so very close to picking up What's in the Bible instead. But I'm holding out. Pick me! Pick me! LOL!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails