Friday, April 23, 2010

Fit Mommy Friday



*If you're new to my blog and would like to join the merry band of mommies working hard to get--or stay--fit, please click here for all the details.*


I don't know about you, but for me this week has been incredibly exhausting. Dean's been working OT all this week (and last), waking up at 4am and working 'til 4pm. Now some of you may be wondering what that has to do with me. Well, I shall tell you. It's because I wake up 10 mins before he does in order to get everything ready to wake him up 10 minutes later. (Setting out clean towels for his shower, starting the coffee...and of course, putting on my makeup and quickly brushing my hair and teeth. Ahem.)

So what does glass of whine have to do with my fitness exploits? In a word--everything.

Although I've been consistent with my exercise, my workouts feel incredibly lazy. Forced. Borderline unenjoyable. Why? Because I'm so darn tired. Not even the massive amount of liquid energy I've been consuming (chai) has helped much. I'm often afraid I'm going to drop a weight on my foot (or my head if I'm doing a chest press or something), so I really have to be careful. :o)

Yesterday was by far my best day. I had a nice burst of energy while I was doing the P90X's Legs and Back workout, and yes--before you ask--my inner thighs are a tad sore. I was hoping to feel it more in the backend, but no such luck. Perhaps if I'd pushed myself harder I would've. I admit I went a bit "easy" on myself during the wall-sits and one legged wall-sits. I didn't go down nearly as far as I could've/should've because I was worried that, once I was down, I wouldn't get back up! I'd just keep sinking toward the floor and take a nap. (Hee hee)

Please don't think I'm advocating anyone here to workout past the point of exhaustion. I'm sure I'm getting very little to no benefit by doing this, but I'm the type of person who *has* to workout each day otherwise I feel off-center. Even if I do have to d-r-a-g myself through it.

I've given myself a few (to several) days off in the past during times like this, but instead of being peaceful it only made me feel worse. I couldn't enjoy my day(s) off because it felt like I was "bad" for not working out. Seriously, I would beat myself up with thoughts like "Are you kidding me? You're too tired?", "One lazy day turns into a  habit!", "And now you want a donut?!"

Addiction. It's a powerful thing. :-}

What about you? Are you driven to workout each day? Or do you allow yourself a day off here 'n there? Please tell me I'm not the only psycho.... LOL!



4 comments:

Amy Rainey said...

My hubby is on week 3 of P90X. I want to try it with him, but I have to choose the right day for it to coincide with my race training. I know it is intense. I applaud you for doing it even when you don't feel like it. I have to have a running partner for accountability. Without her, I would never get it done. She's the only reason that I finished my first half-marathon. And, she will be the only reason that I finsh the next one.

Annie Kate said...

I used to be quite driven, and even now I struggle with it, but being sick has really shown me that rest is important.

I hope you find the balance you're looking for. Just never think that you're addicted just because you feel better when you exercise. That's just plain old physiology. LOL

Blessings,

Annie Kate

Cheryl Henderson said...

I know exactly what you mean. Although the last couple of weeks my heart was doing a mambo I felt incredibly guilty for not at least doing yoga. Now that's psycho! LOL!

I hope to get back to at least 5 days a week exercising starting next week. :-)

Leah said...

Sorry, I signed twice, because first time I left the wrong link. (Oops!)

I just discovered this site, and decided to join. After all, I'm sure it's never too late to start.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails