Friday, April 23, 2010

Review: Super Star Speech-R and L

I never even considered the idea of speech therapy until I had my son, Ethan.

Ethan (11) was a late-talker. He didn’t say any words outside of “mama” and “dada” until he was 2 years old. Instead he would make this odd “glug-glug” sound in the back of his throat. Kind of like a scene in a movie where the hero is trying to talk with a gag in his mouth. Hard to explain, sorry.

Fast forward to age 2. He’s finally stringing 2-3 word sentences together. Age 3, he’s got the sentences down but he doesn’t articulate his words well—at all. Instead of saying “Let me see!” it would come out, “Lemme heeee!” The word please would come out “pwease”, Sierra would come out “Wawa”. This continued long past the age of 6 when Ethan then developed a severe stutter. (Poor guy inherited a double-whammy. Dean had the same articulation issues as a kid, and I stuttered. In fact, at times I still do. So does my father.) rl2

When he was about 6 years old, we enrolled him in speech therapy. Those lessons helped quite a bit with the stutter and boosted his confidence. But eventually the money ran out and the clinic itself closed. They didn’t get a chance to address his R/L issues.

Enter our latest review product, Super Star Speech: Super Star R and L, by Deborah Lott.

This was a product I had looked at once before, but dismissed it thinking that an E-book wouldn’t be all that effective. (Boy, was I wrong!)

Each of this book’s 61 pages is filled to the brim with drills, activities, games and teaching tips designed specifically to help parents correct their child’s articulation issues at home.

Although the author does stress that her program is not to be used as a substitute for proper speech therapy (especially for things like stuttering), her program does make an excellent starting point and/or therapy supplement. The E-book may also be used as a supplement to Deborah Lott’s Super Star Speech--Speech Therapy Made Simple program.

Our Impressions

Super Star R and L made it very clear to see where I had gone wrong in my attempts to help my son. Most of the time, I’d say things like, “Try it like this: Rrrr!”, which of course he would do with little to no success. I was frustrated because I couldn’t understand why he couldn’t “do as I do”, and he was frustrated trying to master something that seemed impossible.

But then in the book, Deborah explains how the sounds are actually made by curling or flattening the tongue. (Duh! I didn’t even think about that!) There are several exercises that both parent and child can do together. Later when I had Ethan perform the exercises in front of the mirror, it made such a huge difference!  Now he was seeing what I was saying, and I was finally able to help him make that brain/tongue connection. Click!

I also love how everything is written without the use of fancy make-you-wanna-scratch-your-head-and-say-huh? jargon. Everything is simple to understand, easy to use, and fun to work with. (And effective. Can’t forget effective.) :)

Ethan still has trouble if he’s not actively thinking about what he’s saying. But I’m confident that this product will help him overcome at least some of his speech challenges in the months to come.

Super Star R and L is available for $18.95 spiral bound or for $12.95 for the E-book through the author’s website Super Star Speech.com. 

I absolutely recommend this program as a gentle, effective introduction to speech therapy. The author’s tone is one of caring and concern, and the lessons are fun for a variety of ages. Two thumbs up! :)

To read what my fellow Crew members had to say about this product, please click here.

*As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I received a copy of this product for free in exchange for an honest review. No additional compensation was provided and the thoughts expressed in this post are my own.*

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Thanks for the review! I enjoyed reading about your son's speech history and your experiences with Super Star R and L.

Debbie Lott

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails